Tuesday, May 15

The Day My Car Hit 110 kmph

And then it was all freedom- a free surge towards the beckoning road, towards the green forest on my right, towards the dark clouds for which I knew I was one day destined....I was weightless, pushed back against my seat, unaware of the enormous weight it was exerting against my back. Very slowly, not wanting to let go of the delight, I lifted my bare right foot off the accelerator, and saw the speedometer needle swing anti-clockwise toward the seventies...

I am sorry for not being able to post for, as my dashboard tells me, 8 days. I have been writing for my old class blog, the 10-E blog, writing a series of posts on the teachers who taught us back then. It has been a wonderful experience, and I'm amazed that I carried so many incidents with me, submerged within my sub-conscious mind. You can read the 5-part series at teneof2004.blogspot.com.

There was not much to write about either. I'll review the Namesake soon, but as of now I've only read the book. I want to review the movie and the book together. I also have to post the list of 100 Books that Naita has tagged me with, as well as a post on the whole point of a blog.

Recently, I stumbled upon a blog that had a couple of my friends as members. It has been inactive since February, but I found this post, first published last October:

I am the PRESIDENT SECURITY COUNCIL in DPSMUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I first found out last night, when Prateek sent me a mail congratulating me, and then we chatted last night, Prateek, Shoikat and me, and Prateek clarified.This morning, I just got the call. It was Karan to whom this wonderful task of spreading joy was given, and he wished me for all the festivals, and then congratulated me. So I *hehe* feigned ignorance, and I asked what for.
"For becoming a chair at DPSMUN."
"Are you SERIOUS?????? What Committee?"
"Security Council."
*silence*
"Oh..my...god....Are you sure?? That's amazing!!! omg, I can't believe it!!! Shit, woooooowwwwww!!! SECURITY COUNCIL!!!! Thanks so much!!!"
And I went on and on in a similar vein, and Karan was just laughing at me indulgently.

This paragraph awoke several dormant memories within my mind. I'm having a lot of difficulty in finding the right word for how I felt reading this post, this recounting of the conversation I had with her. Reading it, I could clearly imagine my telephone call to Sanjana last October: I had been in the car, on the way to नानी-घर. It was the afternoon of Bhai Dooj, and the festivals she mentions were Diwali, Bhai Dooj, and Id (the last two had coincided last year).

It was so much like the other conversations I'd had that day; after all, I'd called up twenty people and uttered almost the same words. Naturally, all the reactions hadn't been similar: I remember one executive board member even said Shit; not the shit of surprise, but the shit of frustration.

What had seemed so ordinary back then, and thus had been relegated to the back of my mind, suddenly flashed back, and came alive today. And made me want to post.

3 comments:

Vintage Girl said...

u know here my dad drives at 110 kmph all the time....thats only like 70-75 mph....itna to i think they even allow in sum states....but even in illinois 100 mph tak to allowed hai hi...

Vintage Girl said...

and i didnt get that whole MUN wala thing at all...mind explaining a lil more clearly?

Shayeri said...

i read some of the teacher stories. amazing is the word for it. will read the five-logy.

and i agree with naita. are you revoking mun memories?